The Legal Cheek View
The University of Aberdeen is one of four “ancient” universities of Scotland, with law a founding discipline when it was established in 1495. Nowadays, the School of Law prides itself on delivering high quality, engaging, and academically challenging programmes.
Popular degree offerings at undergrad include its classic LLB, which is a qualifying law degree in Scotland, and its LLB with English Law – a qualifying law degree in England and Wales. At postgraduate level it also provides a general LLM as well as a diverse array of specialised LLM programmes in dispute resolution, trade law, oil and gas, human rights, international law, commercial law and more.
Along with its well-established Diploma in Professional Legal Practice (DPLP) for those seeking entry into the Scottish legal profession, the school is also introducing an SQE1 preparation course for those wishing to qualify in England and Wales. This will be delivered in an online form, with students receiving access to the programme for 12 months.
SQE1 Preparation course
For law graduates of either English or Scots law, this SQE1 Prep course is fully online, takes place over 12 months and costs £2,350.
Postgraduate law courses
- LLM Business Law & Sustainable Development
- LLM Criminal Justice
- LLM Criminal Justice & Human Rights
- LLM Dispute Resolution (Online)
- LLM Energy Transition Law with Dissertation
- LLM Energy Transition Law with Professional Skills
- LLM Energy Economics and Law
- LLM General Law
- LLM International Intellectual Property & Information Law with Dissertation
- LLM International Intellectual Property & Information Law with Professional Skills
- LLM International Commercial Law with Dissertation
- LLM International Commercial Law with Professional Skills
- LLM International Human Rights
- LLM International Law
- LLM International Law and International Relations
- LLM International Law, Security and Strategic Studies
- LLM International Trade Law
- LLM International Trade Law (Online)
- LLM International Trade Law and Treaty Negotiations with Professional Skills
- LLM Natural Resources Law
- LLM Oil and Gas Law (Online)
- LLM Oil and Gas Law with Dissertation
- LLM Oil and Gas Law with Professional Skills
- LLM Public International Law
- LLM International Dispute Resolution with Dissertation
- LLM International Dispute Resolution with Professional Skills
- LLM Corporate Finance and Law
- LLM by Research
CB Davidson Fund
This scholarship provides limited financial support for postgraduate students within the School of Law. It is for graduates in law from outside the UK to study in Aberdeen, and for students and graduates of the University of Aberdeen who wish to travel outside of the UK for research purposes.
Value: up to £2,500
Deadline: two rolling deadlines each year – 31 March and 30 September
The Vikram Reddy Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is offered to support one postgraduate student from the United Kingdom through a one year on campus full time Master of Laws (taught or research) programme (LLM).
Deadline: applications open Spring 2024