Will you be the one to get your statute book confiscated?
If you’re studying law, you’ll be all too aware that exam season is upon us.
But, no matter how much you study, revise and plan, some things are just destined to happen in that exam hall. Here are 15 of them.
1. Someone will have their statute book confiscated
Whether it’s for writing case names, including post-it notes or going overboard with the underlining, highlighting and symbols, someone will have broken the rules and they’ll be punished for it.
2. Someone will wait 30 minutes before they write anything and it will make you nervous
You’re not supposed to be looking at other people… but what the hell is that boy one seat to the left and two spaces forward from you doing? You can’t help but see the shiny blank white page in your peripheral vision.
3. Someone will ask for another writing booklet, maybe even two or three
We dare you to try to get through four.
4. Someone will do a weird exam ritual before they get into the venue
Blaring their ‘fight song’ out of their car is a common one. Others will be carrying worry dolls.
5. Someone will have a coughing fit
You’ll feel bad for them, but not bad enough to stop yourself getting annoyed at them.
6. Someone will ask your tutor what’s on the exam
And you’ll spend a good chunk of the three hours wondering why tutors are even allowed in the exam hall if they can’t answer you.
7. Someone will attempt to bring food into the exam hall
Someone ate a banana near me once.
8. Someone will make you feel better about the amount of revision you’ve done
Being asked “what’s Foakes v Beer?” on the way to your exam will make you feel a little smug.
9. Someone will make you feel a lot worse about the amount of revision you’ve done
Being asked “does anyone else really like that Court of Appeal case from 1967 that wasn’t actually on the reading list but is super useful and will definitely get me extra marks?” will not.
10. Someone’s phone will go off
Pray it’s on vibrate.
11. Someone will realise they’re at the wrong exam venue
Usually just at the second everyone starts making their way into the hall. Getting an Uber at 9.35am from one side of Leeds to the other = not the way you want to start your 9.45am exam.
12. Someone will tap their foot so much you will consider throwing your statute book at them
Why. Why. Why.
13. Someone will have done an all nighter
Can’t spot them? They’re the one at the back of the queue holding a cup of coffee and looking like they’ve been struck by lightning. They’ll probably stink, and will have eaten something really weird for their 4am breakfast (for example, a packet of drumsticks).
14. Someone will bring a celebratory bottle of wine/beer/vodka in their bag
It may or may not be opened depending on the contents of the exam.
15. Someone will cry
Legal Cheek’s top 10 creative revision tips [Legal Cheek]
For all the latest commercial awareness info, and advance notification of Legal Cheek’s careers events, sign up to the Legal Cheek Hub here.