From law student porn stars to Harry Potter-style exam cheats, but can you guess which article was our most viewed?
2017 has been quite a ride for the legal profession.
It’s the year the United Kingdom welcomed its first ever female head of the Supreme Court in Lady Hale, months after she and her ten colleagues decided Article 50 could only be triggered following a free vote in parliament.
King & Wood Mallesons closed its doors, the number of training contracts at corporate law firms in the City fell (but rose overall across the country), the Bar Standards Board and the Solicitors Regulation Authority pushed ahead with proposed changes to legal education and, the heavy stuff now, a former University of Westminster law student won I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!
But which stories have Legal Cheek readers enjoyed more than all the others? Here are our 15 most-read stories this year.
15. An open letter to future lawyers, from a future lawyer
14. Cambridge law student filmed on Snapchat torching £20 note in front of homeless man
13. Westminster grad puts commercial law dreams on hold to enter celebrity jungle
12. Law is the hardest degree to get a first in
11. ‘C U Next Tuesday’: Leaked emails reveal incredible bust-up between KWM partners
10. A law student used Harry Potter-style invisible ink to sneak 24 pages of ‘unauthorised notes’ into exam
9. ‘It wasn’t an easy decision’: Student quit law degree to become porn star over concerns about money and graduate job prospects
8. ‘They tried to get lawyers’: Devastating cuts to legal aid prevented Grenfell Tower residents accessing advice over safety concerns
7. Too many students aspire to be Harvey Specter ‘rainmakers’, says law school director
6. Watch lawyers sit in stony-faced silence as Eminem’s ‘Lose Yourself’ blasts out through courtroom speakers
5. Solicitor who qualified in 2009 and made partner in 2014 becomes UK’s youngest female judge at just 31
4. Revealed: Law firms average arrive and leave the office times 2017-18
3. Student used ‘fraudulent’ first class Oxford Brookes law degree to get onto Queen Mary LLM
2. It’s official: The LPC and GDL are being scrapped
1. 11 reasons why you should date a lawyer
Thank you to all our readers who have visited the site in 2017. Here’s to another year of Legal Cheek.
For all the latest commercial awareness info, and advance notification of Legal Cheek's careers events:Sign up to the Legal Cheek Hub